I must say, this is my best banana bread recipe yet! I was inspired to make this after a visit to Diesel Cafe in Somerville, and bringing home a slice of their vegan chocolate banana bread. Heaven!!! I find that I often try to my my desserts “healthier,” but in the end, they’re just not quite as tasty. I’m proud to say that this recipe very nicely balances health and taste. It’s not fat free or super low calorie, but it’s made with whole wheat flour and limited sugar. And tastes THE BOMB!
Today was a very rainy day here on the coast, so it was the perfect day to experiment in the kitchen. I used a few recipes for reference, but ended up making a few changes that turned out great! Not only is it vegan, it’s easy to make and very satisfying. Check it out!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup stevia
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 vegan egg replacer
- ½ cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a bread pan with parchment paper, and grease the sides.
- Prepare vegan egg according to instruction, and set aside. (I used Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg).
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients to a blender with the banana, and blend until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry, mix, then add the vegan egg and finish mixing.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into the bread pan, and bake for 60 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan, then eat!
Nutrition Facts for ⅛ serving: